Ruissalos’s oak forests, charming 19th Century villas, Ruissalo Spa hotel, National Park, Ruisrock rock concert, Honkapirtti restaurant and Botanical Gardens have all combined to make the island famous. Scenic and well-maintained bike paths offer comfortable distances for the whole family. The rocky outcrops, beautiful sandy beaches, distinctive nature, rolling fields and pretty gardens will lead to love at first sight for all who visit the island.
Stay in Saaronniemi on the outermost tip of the island, at the Ruissalo Camping Area. The tourist services of this well-equipped camping and caravan park include beaches, barbecue sites, brand new saunas, a small shop, indoor accommodation and various amenities including hot showers and a laundry. With mini-golf, volleyball, badminton and basketball courts, a fitness trail, playgrounds and a cafe-restaurant, even the most demanding traveller is catered for. In the dead of winter, you can go straight from the fabulous new saunas to take a rejuvenating dip through a hole cut in the ice!
Picnic at Ruissalo
Renowned for its unique nature and cultural history, the island of Ruissalo is located just outside Turku. The former court hunting grounds of Turku Castle can be easily reached by land or sea.
Rent a bike at Visit Turku Tourist Information and ride across the island to the Ruissalo Camping area at its far end, which is 13 km from the city centre. Or, you can take bus 8 from the city centre all the way through Ruissalo. You can pick up your picnic basket at the Camping area café.
- By bus (smaller picnic basket), 36 € (incl. bus fare, picnic basket).
- By bus (larger picnic basket), 41 € (incl. bus fare, picnic basket).
- By bike (smaller picnic basket), 67 € (incl. bike rental, picnic basket).
- By bike (smaller picnic basket), 72 € (incl. bike rental, picnic basket).
- The smaller picnic basket includes: backpack, coffee or tea x 2, water bottle x 2, sandwich x 2, small pastry or fruit x 2, napkins and a "take away" coffee or tea from Villa Saaro.
- The larger picnic basket includes: backpack, water bottle x 2, sausage x 4, napkins, eating utensils, ketchup, mustard, ribs or chicken (500g) and firewood.