On top of the Aninkaisten Hill, opposite the Concert Hall, is located Turku’s other city centre square.
The history of Puutori dates back to the 1800s, when the Aninkaisten Hill was still an undeveloped wasteland. After the Great Fire of Turku (1827) the Puutori area was for a long time also called Onnettomuudenmäki (accident hill) because the great fire began there, and today a memorial plaque at Maariankatu 3 marks the starting point of the fire.
In the late 1800s, around the Puutori square, people began to live and settlements grew as the merchants gathered here to trade. Puutori got its name from the timber merchants who arrived from the countryside to trade in the square. There were also many merchants selling old clothes here too, and as late as the 1960s Puutori was the largest flea market Finland.
Today there is no daily market at Puutori, but The Puutori Association organizes annual events that enliven the square. Despite this there was plenty to see in 2011 as the square became home to Mr. Paikkari ceramic work of art, Iglu, when it was unveiled as part of the European Capital of Culture programme. At Puutori you’ll also find Wäinö Aaltonen’s statue When friendships are entered into.
Also worth a visit is Puutori Toilet restaurant, which operates in the former public toilets that were designed in the functionalist style.